Thursday, June 27, 2013

You Say It’s My Barkday……


Jakey Beshears 1 year old

Big doins around the Casa today.  Everyone is all excited because they say it is Jakey’s barkday….What? What’s that you say?..........my BIRTHday?  Oh…………what’s a birthday?  I understand bark, that’s when I use my outside voice inside the house and get in big trouble.  (insert lowered ears and coffee table diving here)

A birthday.  They say I’m 1…………….one what?  One super handsome guy?  One happy little paper shredder?  One chow hound extraordinaire?  Oh……………..one year old.  What’s a year?  Well, whatever it is…Ozzie is too I’m sure. Here’s what the HM has to say about today.

“Today marks a year since I went racing home from work to find Mrs. Daisy Mae Brown working to try to bring much anticipated dog babies into the world.  She had been working on one for quite awhile and I was concerned so we packed up and raced to the vets.  Turns out that little guy was badly stuck and the vet had to pull him out.  Talk about traumatic, Daisy cried, I cried, the vet tech cried…it was horrible.  The pup was alive but barely and no amount of work could save him so we eventually stopped trying.  My concern at this point was for the little mama who had 2 more to go.  I would have sacrificed them both to save her had the need presented itself.  Luckily it didn’t.
My vet gave her a shot which was supposed to increase and speed up her labor and sent me home with her.  Within less than an hour she had managed to bring forth her two little guys without any further help.  I was amazed at her fortitude and matter of fact “let’s get down to business” attitude.  She is proof positive that it takes a lot of heart to be a bonafied Princess.  And, that just because you are a Princess doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a useless cupcake.
The boys brand new

She was diligent, she was patient with visitors, she was large and in charge and kept everything going as needed.  She was also good to eat well (a huge worry for me because Mini-Schnauzers sometimes don’t eat well and then you have a real problem).  Daisy did everything right and she raised two really remarkable little dogs…..Ozzie and Jakey.

Ozzie Elmore and family
Most of you have followed Ozzie and Jakey since the day they were born and you know lots about them.  You know Ozzie found a wonderful forever home with Ms. Lisa and he has lots of little kids to play with – he has a wonderful life.  

 Jakey wasn’t as lucky….he was forced to remain at home with us…..the pet of old people.   He will be like the 40 year old guy who never leaves home but just lives with his parents all his life.  But…I think he’s happy.  He looks happy and he acts happy and I’m sure he is much smarter than he acts.

This was my first experience in raising puppies in a long long time and it sure made me remember how much fun it can be.  It is also scary because you have invested a lot of time and money into getting the best little dogs you can and you want to make sure they have great homes at the end of your journey.  I was lucky…..and so I quit while I was ahead.  I also came to find out that people can be pretty danged mean spirited about your decision to raise a litter of purebred dogs – I had to develop some awfully thick skin.

I’m all about the adoption thing as well and I have three treasures I have rescued from the streets and many more who made my home a stopping off point on their way to finding a better life.  But, for me I found that raising a purebred dog was a great experience.  I learned a lot about the breed and I also learned a lot about taking care of a little pregnant mama and helping her raise good strong, healthy, well socialized little pups.  I’ve quit apologizing for it.  I feel I have handled my “breeder” experience in a very responsible and well thought out manner.  And I still encourage people to adopt, but there is nothing wrong in having a purebred dog either…each to their own I say.
Cheeseburger Cake

So today….Jakey gets a junior cheeseburger from Sonic in honor of his birthday.  He shared this treat with his dog parents and  Aunt Jessie as well (however Jessie was only interested in the food).  I’m glad no one wanted Jakey.  He’s my bed buddy,  he still likes me best, he gets rid of all unwanted electronics parts along with some that aren’t so unwanted and yet, he’s a joy to have around.  Jakey embraces each and every day as a gift.  He’s happy to be alive…he has his dog dad to play with and Cooper is very good with him and he loves the smaller humans in his life as well.  So I hope you will wish Jakey…and Ozzie….a very happy birthday today.  Your comments make them happy.”  And now……….back to Jakey….
The party was well attended by: from left to right - Daisy The Bored, Jakey The Confused, Cooper The Slightly Panicked and Roger The Incredulous

OMGosh! Cheeseburger…………this was a new word for Jakey and Jakey realllllllly loveums this word A.LOT.  I am happy I got to share my birthday treat with my doggie family and HM says she made sure Ozzie would have a Cheeseburger too so Jakey’s life is good…………..do you like my party hat?  My days are good days, I have lots of fun and I’m a very happy boy………and guess what?   I still love everybody!
 

3 comments:

  1. Jakey you have truly been a blessing in our lives. Thank you for being such a happy and well adjusted little guy who gets along with everybody in the pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! It was such a pleasure meeting you the other day. Your three furbabies are just adorable. What a blessing they must be to you (and you to them).

    Hope you have a great Wednesday. Purrs from all of us at Prancer Pie. - Prancer, Princeton, Precious, and the Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prancer Pie!! Thanks for sliding over to leave my HM - she says she was very happy to meet you in person! I appreciate your saying we are "adorable" - we all think so. HM says you have "kitties" what are kitties? So far Jakey knows bunnies, squirrels, birdies and mousies. Maybe Jakey needs to meet your kitties! Thanks again for your comment, we all hope Meggie is doing better, we are ready to have her back!

    ReplyDelete